Navigation Pages

| HOME | SHOP | TRAVEL | FASHION |

Thursday, August 18, 2011

Not Itchy In Makati City


Makati is a Tagalog (Filipino) word for "itchy", but also for the ebbing tide.

According to tradition, the first Governor-General of the Philippines Miguel López de Legazpi, while exploring a swamp near the Pasig River, asked for the name of the place but, because of the language barrier, was misinterpreted by the Tagalog people. Pointing to the receding tide of Pasig River, the Tagalogs answered, “Makati, kumakati na,” literally meaning ebbing tide.[5]

We took our breakfast, fixed the luggage and were shuttled by the hotel’s van to the NAIA. It took us 35 minutes to get to the airport, and the van costs 680 Pesos. I stayed outside the airport (as visitors were not allowed inside, unlike at the domestic terminal) and waited until my friend called that he is already checked-in.


 


Note: NAIA charges all kinds of taxes so be prepared to have enough cash to pay for 750 pesos airport tax, and of course you have to fill out the exit form.
After I brought my friend to the airport, I went to Ayala Avenue in Makati City. It was still early, and the malls were closed except for the food court of the Landmark, so I decided to take another small breakfast. Afterwards, I went looking for an ATM since I needed to stock some cash for the next days. There are a lot of banks around the area of the business district. I panicked when my bank card was not accepted at the ATM, tried the next machine, and it was the same thing. I've considered that probably it was just a glitch in the system, so I resolved to keep calm and try again on another machine somewhere else. Fortunately, I have enough cash for the next couple of days. I've planned to visit my cousin who lives in another province, Nueva Ecija, the next day.

I've decided to walk around a bit and then took a bus going to another (city) district, Mandaluyong City. As usual, the traffic was so bad which is always the case in Manila. I still prefer the provinces. All laid back and slow-paced.

I did a little mall tour and decided to go back to the bay area at the Mall of Asia (MoA). I spent the whole afternoon at the MoA and back to the hotel for an early nightcap because I had to travel early the next day too.



No comments:

Post a Comment